Home inspector makes shocking discovery
One of our inspectors "Greg", made a shocking discovery after opening an electrical panel at a home he was inspecting in Greensboro. A neutral wire inside the panel was arcing and the protective sheathing on the wire was already scorched. This is a perfect example of how a home inspection can save a home or even a life. A wire arcing inside of a panel has the potential to cause a fire.
Greg immediately cut the breaker off and alerted the home owner to the issue. The home owner stated "The electrical has been working fine." and didn't understand the sense of urgency. The repair for this issue is likely simple and solved by tightening the lug.
The problem is people ignore their surroundings. We live in homes by nature and do not evaluate them. A home inspection is a non invasive examination of a home which normally shows minor defects, but sometimes it reveals deadly defects such as this.